MNHS Alumni Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MNHS Alumni Community

A site to where alumni of MNHS - Mankayan National High School can communicate together.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni

Go down 
+2
msabit
Vangie '80
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vangie '80

The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni Empty
PostSubject: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 am

the meeting pushed thru this afternoon as earlier informed by a core group of mankayan based MNHS alumni... the minutes of the meeting will be posted tomorrow by Chester Tuazon who was assigned to do it... it was decided that the group make a tour around the school first to assess the damages and know what are the immediate improvements/rehabilitations that needs to be done as well as be able to meet with the faculty and admin of the school before taking any action... the tour is scheduled ASAP - possibly this weekend... another meeting is scheduled nxt wednesday to invite more alumni to join and present post tour evaluation of the school situation... by then we will be able to point focal persons and give you reports on what is really the priority needs of our alma mater... meantime continue to invite more of our co-alumni to register... A Blessed day to one and all...
Back to top Go down
msabit

msabit

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:46 am

hi....

we jaz had our initial meeting with handful concerned alumni ysterday at d municipal library initiated by some upper class..we will have another meeting by next wk wednesday as ff up,partial dscussion was focused on initial actions that will be undertaken as preventive measures to further damages,we'll that's a short term goal as i can see it,naturally we have to discuss our long term goal so as we did,as i suggested that we must first wait for the official investigation and recommendation of the MGB,UP-NIGS and other accredited private geologist,even volcanologist who will be involved in problem-solving,that will be a baseline to create a more tangible project that will be dscussed further by the trusted clusters of alumni official which i believe will come fr the different batch officers...dytoy t update,tnx
Back to top Go down
msabit

msabit

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 12:36 pm

A forum was conducted yesterday at the Dangwa Convention Hall,it was sponsored by the group of advocates from other mining places here in the Cordilleras. headed by Eng'r Aniceto,cluster of concerned group of Mankayan (MCC-Mankayan Council of Churches,MNHS Alumni,Mankayan Concerned Citizens,Bakun Group,Brgy Colalo etc to name a few...) were gathered.
I was invited by Chester Tuazon and Vangie Gomeyac,who are among our team leaders.I met several frontliners of this forum who dubbed the said activity..."Speak for the truth.....to prevent further destruction of Mankayan..." can't actually quote its exact word jeje...The event was attended by two of our local officials,vice mayor Paterno Dacanay and Coun.William Mendoza and several barangay chairman.
In here, i was tasked to read the position letter of MNHS Alumni.
I had my preliminary message before the letter was broadcast for me to mind-set the people that the alumni are on its eyes,ears and hands regarding the present situation.
So after some slide presentations via LCD plus its technical information/explanation by Eng'r Aniceto was finished...i found myself blank-stare and immediately realized i felt like i was blown! There is this numbness i can't relate..it's like a devastation! And i suddenly got back to my composure not to be caught off-guard...,whew grabe...
Now i have to say things,as i approach the rostrum,there is this intense and ballistic feelings that are ready to spew, i duno why..but things has to go..and as i look the faces in front,it signals me to deliver my first words...i hope this will be for all of us guys...
"So,in this kind of scenario where life and death is just nearly a blink of an eye,i believed that all we need this time is a leader of significance,a leader that maybe found within ourselves...let us not allow mankayan be a place of a shattered dreams but a place for us and for our children with hope, challenge and choice...let all our dreams and the dreams of our children set foot in this land where kindness and christianity dwells...let us think of a great life this place may offer to all the generation ahead...our school is indeed the foundation of all these things.
Our quest to our schools present dilemna was seemed denied,we can see the frustration of not getting our message across,of being ignored,of not being listened to.After a while,we begin to feel there's nothing we can do,so we stop trying,once we stop,we've given into powerlessness BUT....WE SHOULDN'T!!! Powerlessness touches us all in one way or another but we SHOULDN'T succumb ourselves to it...because it erodes our self-esteem and our effectiveness in dealing with the situation.Sometimes,we'd rather just give up where we are and start over somewhere else rather than try to preserve something we once had that are gradually losing.Let us not betray our capabilities nor suppress our ideas that may lead us to be productive or significant.
In the place of such uncertainty,we could sit back and hope for the best,or decide that the best place to find a helping hand is at the end of our own arm.Let's reduce our mind from being victim mentality,let's weaken it to give us a space to grow.I guess one must realize there is always something we can do...that we always have a choice...we can begin to fortify our power as alumni and build a firm stand.Let us all face this challenge in front of all those who have limitations bigger that our own,namely physical and mental handicaps.

Thank you and hope to have to again next view.
Back to top Go down
Vangie '80

PostSubject: SAVE MNHS...   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 am

sorry guys for the delay in posting the minutes of the initial meetings... Chester was not able to post it, he's just too busy i think... As earlier reported by Mounar, the initial group is just a handful but we believe sufficient enough to make initial moves/plans and so here it goes.... This is now our position/petition/statement for signature campaign... Contact your batchmates who are here and let them know about it. Advise them to come and sign the position paper...

Republic of the Philippines
Cordillera Administrative Region
Mankayan, Benguet Province
MANKAYAN NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL
OFFICE OF THE MANKAYAN NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

SAVE OUR DEAR ALMA MATER
By the Mankayan National High School Alumni
July 15, 2009

We, the undersigned, alumni of the Mankayan National High School strongly express our great sentiments for the present predicament of our school. It is in this institution of learning where we established our foundations, built our dreams and gained wisdom that equipped us to become productive citizens.

The tragedy that has befallen our alma mater is beyond our dreams. It sadden us to see part of our school slowly sinking like the sunset, eventually there will be no more Mankayan National High School to remind us of our secondary life. Will this really happen in the near future? This was not our vision for the future of MNHS. Our dream for the school is to be a site for educational foundations that would cater the dreams of our young ones. But how could this be possible if the school is gone?

It was June 5, 2009 when this tragedy started and until now, the school was not given yet concrete evaluation and assessment as to the status of the school grounds and as to the root cause of the non-stop landslides and sinking which is now decades long. We worry for our young brothers and sisters and/or children who are presently studying here. What possible worst tragedy awaits them?

We reaffirm that in this kind of scenario where life and death is just a blink of an eye, we shout out loud that a leader of significance is all that we need and that kind of leader can be found within ourselves. Be vigilant and be real concern, Mankayan should not be a place of shattered dreams but a place for children of hope, courage and excellence.

We want to express our condemnation to the perpetrators of these environmental destructions; according to previous studies and researches conducted by the MGB/DENR, these areas were found out as earthquake fault lines but could it be also possible that these fault lines were aggravated by the mine tunnels underground that may have caused the sinking of the soil?

As concerned citizens, we are very much aware of our role in safeguarding the environment for future generations. In this regard, we are reaching out to the people of Mankayan, pro-environmental advocates, different groups and organizations, concerned citizens, church sectors and the civil society – local and international, to actively participate in studying the cause of the sinking as well as the immediate prevention of further damage in any ways that we could.

We also extend our support to the Local Government Unit of Mankayan and the Benguet Provincial Government for their moves to initiate independent geological study or inquiries/investigations regarding the real cause of the Aurora, Poblacion, Mankayan, Benguet sinking.

We further pray and challenge the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to honestly report the real cause of the sinking.

We only have one Mankayan National High School, One Alma Mater; our actions must be concerted and must be NOW!

(Initial Signatories)
ALFREDO P. PLADIO-President/ Class ‘74
SONIA JOVELYN S. GALAUS-Vice President/ Class ‘79
ALEXANDER L. BOCANOG-Secretary/ Class ‘83
EVANGELINE T. GOMEYAC-Treasurer/ Class ‘80
MARVIN A. SAB-IT-Business Manager/ Class ‘89
MARLON D. SALUPEN-Business Manager/ Class ‘90
EUGENE A. LASQUITE-Class ‘80
CHESTER MARK A. TUAZON-Class 2001
STEPHEN B. GOMEYAC-Class ‘81
ALFREDO D. POLAN-Class ‘73
JULIETA T. TAGWAY-Class ‘74
LILY M. DELOS SANTOS-Class ‘77
ARNOLD B. RUFINO-Class ‘82
NELLIE T. DAWEG-Class ‘89
RYAN S. LIKIGAN-Class ‘94
ERIC B. APLOSEN-Class ‘94
DOROTHEA BASINGEL-Class ‘96
ALLAN U. SAYOG-Class ‘95
GENADETH M. CACHOLA-Class ‘95
RIMAS P. LADIP-Class ‘97
SHARON A. DIASSAN-Class '97
ESTHER OMAI S. BELINO-Class ‘97
JACQUELINE A. GABATINO-Class ‘98
BENIFREDA M. FERNANDEZ-Class ‘98
MARJORIE P. LANTAEN-Class ‘99

Last edited by Vangie '80 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vangie '80

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 10:24 am

Guys, actually the latest issue here is where to relocate the school as it was already declared a danger zone by the MGB. (Please read the link given by jobal to the report on the Midland Courier). They are saying 10 hectares in Mankayan is in danger covering Poblacion, but it was not yet properly disclosed as to exact land area coverage of that 10 hectares...it might include some of our adjoining barangays like Sapid, Tabio??? So there's the dilemma on the word "SAVE MNHS". But the Fact is we cannot just relocate the school instantly. It would really take years (2 - 3 yrs at least and maybe 5 - more years at most) to do that...The buildings that are currently being used are still there... The two old/abandoned buildings including of course the admin bldg, the guard house and the covered pathway - are the ones directly affected by the ground movement/sinking... What we really want to achieve with our petition is for the concerned agencies to disclose the REAL ROOT CAUSE and the EXACT AREA covered... So that we would be able to make proper planning and lasting developments... Lets just hope that there are lessons learned in this tragedy and to be able to use it in the right direction for the survival of the next generation as well as for their future....Right?
Back to top Go down
mikee

mikee

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Batch 89 have a pretty complete database that we created this year when we had our re union. Mounar or Vilma Lacsigen could easily contact our home based classmates for purposes of getting signatures for that petition letter.
How is it gonna work though... Have you designated a specific place where alumni can go and sign the petition paper or somebody is floating it around?
How about alumni who are overseas, what can we do to help in this campaign directly?

2-3 or even 5 years wait is actually ridiculous since based on the present assessment you laid in this website life could really be in serious danger here. Plus 10 hectares in danger zone? That is just ridiculous..... I hope more alumni will visit this website specially those that have connections with government or non government agencies.
Back to top Go down
dyords

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Noted. Can we send a copy as well to Baguio? Im sure madami Alumni dun.
Back to top Go down
jobal

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 pm

10 hectares covers most of Poblacion.MGB should define the limits of this 10 hectares.To give you an idea as to how wide 1 hectare is, Burnham lake is 2 hectares(area covered by water only) and i estimate that original grounds of MNHS to be near 1 hectare, if you remember running events during sports activites the 100 meter dash lane is almost the same to the width of the grounds and the length is much the same too, so (100mx100m=1hectare).So the coverage of the danger zone is really wide and it's disturbing.

Can we request a copy of the study done by MGB? It's important that we must see how they did the study and how they came up with such reports.It's one way to see if their reports are credible.We can also see if they are telling the truth.Malay natin kung ang mga reports na nilalabas i nakabase pala sa mga opinyon lng and are not supported by scientific facts.They should be transparent enough to provide us those documents.
Back to top Go down
Vangie '80

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:28 am

jobal wrote:

Can we request a copy of the study done by MGB? It's important that we must see how they did the study and how they came up with such reports.It's one way to see if their reports are credible.We can also see if they are telling the truth.Malay natin kung ang mga reports na nilalabas i nakabase pala sa mga opinyon lng and are not supported by scientific facts.They should be transparent enough to provide us those documents.

--- i have a power point copy of the report which i got from chester... kind of ironic though coz i tried to secure a copy of the MGBs official report from the mayor's office but accdg to one of the personnel they didn't receive a copy yet. They're suppose to be the first one to get a copy of the official report but we just wonder why? the MGB guys came to investigate two weeks ago and brought home whatever findings they found out. Then came out the report last sunday in the newspaper (Midland) ... I'll post the report tomorrow since i wasn't able to copy it in my flash drive...

one thing maybe that you guys from overseas can do is to try and seek advise from experts/agencies/organizations whom you can contact regarding this problem at home... and relay to us whatever you can gather ... let's help each other...
Back to top Go down
Vangie '80

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:38 am

mikee wrote:
Have you designated a specific place where alumni can go and sign the petition paper or somebody is floating it around? How about alumni who are overseas, what can we do to help in this campaign directly?

2-3 or even 5 years wait is actually ridiculous since based on the present assessment you laid in this website life could really be in serious danger here. Plus 10 hectares in danger zone? That is just ridiculous..... I hope more alumni will visit this website specially those that have connections with government or non government agencies.

...the petition paper is still with Alex. We will be distributing it tomorrow. Alumni may come and sign it at the MNHS admin office or at the municipal library... there will be copies to be distributed....

...yes right, what is going on here is really ridiculous... no one is speaking the truth... they're kinda slow in trying to find out the TRUTH... we're at a lost on what to do... if you have connections to those in knowledge of legalities do try to seek their advice and maybe even their services...
Back to top Go down
Vangie '80

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:40 am

dyords wrote:
Noted. Can we send a copy as well to Baguio? Im sure madami Alumni dun.

... yes sir we will be sending copies... can i get your number so you can be in-charge of it? send it here or thru pm..
Back to top Go down
jobal

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 am

Vangie '80 wrote:

one thing maybe that you guys from overseas can do is to try and seek advise from experts/agencies/organizations whom you can contact regarding this problem at home... and relay to us whatever you can gather ... let's help each other...

Well, i think i can help in evaluating the study done by MGB if we can get hold of the documents.I know some credible engineers(former bosses and acquaintances) whom i can i ask help or questions regarding the credibility of MGB's report.In my opinion, if we can evaluate the study done by MGB and find that what they found was supported by scientific facts and their metholody is done as per accepted scientific processes/methodogies then there's nothing much that we can do but to believe.But if we'll be able to find questionable datas from their study then we can do some actions against them.Or if we'll not be convinced then we really have to pushed for finding independent groups to conduct the study.Questions about the impartiality of their study can be answered through this manner.We need to be convinced first to give us a peace of mind so that we can set our goals.Hindi naman pwede ung ginagawa nilang naglalabas na lng ng mga press release with-out properly justifying their reports.Para tayong mga bobo sa pinaggagawa nila.If i'm right what they showed in mankayan is the summary of their reports tru powerpoint presentation?What we need is the detailed study they've done so that we can countercheck.So if we can request the said documents from their office then we can start on our own investigation.

Ken no ada daduma pai nga amammo u nga engineers(mining,civil,sanitary&environmental) from mankayan who is on our side please inform us so that we can work with them.

Last edited by jobal on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SakuraMae
SakuraMae

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 am

Vangie '80 wrote:

I refered the case to one of my Japanese friends and she might be able to help w/ the problem. I gave her our site's link so might b logging in anytime.

I just hope it won't be a presentiment..(well atleast, there's no harm in trying..Neutral)

i'll just keep u posted..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni   The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni Empty

Back to top Go down

The Home Team -- Mankayan Based Alumni
Page 1 of 1